The Low Down on Crop Mob
A Crop Mob is simply when a group of dedicated volunteers get together to perform work on a small farm. Farms can range from ranches with huge acreage to urban permaculture farms. The objectives of the Crop Mob are as follows:
- To help educate volunteers about organic food production through real-life experience working on farms. As volunteers continue to Crop Mob, they will hone their skills, and become more productive volunteers who can provide small farmers with badly needed skilled labor.
- Provide small farmers with badly needed skilled labor, and complete projects that require large numbers of people.
- To connect people/farmers who are interested in organic agriculture, and have an excellent time.
What To Expect
You can expect to learn a bunch of really awesome skills, and meet a bunch of extremely fantastic folks. Hell, bring a business card if you got it. Crop Mob events will typically feature:
- Expect the on-farm portion of the Crop Mob to be 4 – 6 hours worth of work (including break, not including travel).
- Arrive at the farm and meet your peers. A short introductory talk by the farmer will be in order.
- Work on a big project for the large part of the day. This might be a barn raising, building swales, weeding, planting, fence construction, or any other of the literally billions of projects that can happen on a farm.
- Break / Hang Out / Eat Lunch
- More work on a big project.
- A short educational talk by the farmer. This might be a free form seminar, a lecture on how to own / operate a farm, deal with pests, or what have you. They’ll likely be related to the project at hand.
- Head on home and feel really, really good.
How To Get Involved
Being involved with the Crop Mob is an immensely positive experience. Great things will happen both in the physical world / in your awesome mind. Here’s the deal:
- Connect with the Crop Mob through our Listserv. You’ll periodically receive announcements regarding Crop Mob events, including where, when, and how.
- RSVP for a specific Crop Mob event by shooting us an e-mail.
- Show up for the Crop Mob! Please bring: A pair of gloves, lots of water, a sack lunch, and anything else you think you’ll need to get through the day. We will provide sunscreen, insect repellent, extra tools, and hella knowledge to drop on y’all.
Are You A Farmer? Need Excellent Labor?
Then get in touch with us! We are always on the lookout for small farms in the Austin area that need projects done. Contact us, and we can help you out!